Will Prince William and Kate snub the Obamas?

Kevin Lamarque / Reuters

The president and first lady were dressed to the nines for a Kennedy Center Honorees Reception at the White House earlier this month -- but if the U.K. Daily Mail has it right, they won't need to break out their glad rags for Will and Kate's wedding.

The U.K. Daily Mail is reporting that President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama will not be invited to the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton next April. The British tabloid cites "a senior courtier" as saying that "The guest list is still being drawn up and could change, but as things stand it’s right (to say Mr Obama will not be invited)."

The Mail claims that because William is not yet heir to the throne, the wedding is not an official state occasion and Will and Kate are more interested in having people who work for William's many charities and just plain folks among the 2,000 guests at their "people's wedding" than dignitaries and VIPs. However, the Mail says that French President Nicolas Sarkozy and wife Carla Bruni will likely be invited.

But state occasion or not, not inviting the Obamas would certainly be a break from tradition. In 1981, for example, President Ronald Reagan and wife Nancy were invited to the wedding of Charles and Diana (Nancy came, but the president, recovering from an assassination attempt, stayed home).

In assessing the credibility of the Mail's report, it should be noted that the tabloid has had to pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds in high-profile libel cases involving celebrities over the past decade alone. On the other hand, the newspaper has broken its share of scoops as well.

People.com

Discuss this post

Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 ... 20

I finally have something in common with the Pres !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 15 votes
#1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 AM EST

I'm not invited either but I do think this is incredibly rude. If I were President Obama, I would remember it - just saying. Royal weddings are only every thirty years. This is uncool.

• 16 votes
#1.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 AM EST

After what the affront the BOs did the Queen and the UK when they first took office I don't blame them at all. Just returning a gift that wasn't even given them was enough to remember. As always just my opinion.

• 33 votes
#1.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:15 AM EST

Let's see.....unemployment at 10%, health care plan in jeopardy, tax cuts for the wealthy, another trillion to the deficit, and I care about this wedding why?

• 38 votes
#1.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 AM EST

levendi, why are you even posting here then? Why did you read it and take the time to respond? Do you do that for every story you don't care about?

• 23 votes
#1.4 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 AM EST

JJD--I finally have something in common with Will and Kate. I wouldn't want the tacky Obamas at my wedding either. Just as I wouldn't want those vulgar Palins!! If they want to take it as a snub, they might want to reconsider and think of it as a CLUE!!

• 30 votes
#1.5 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 AM EST

I heard they invited Bristol Palin to help get the dancing started. No word if she is bringing Levi.

• 7 votes
#1.6 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:47 AM EST

Michelle Obama was rude to the Queen! If I come to your house and thumb my nose at you I don't think I'll be invited back anytime soon especially so if its your children's or in this case grandchild's wedding!

• 38 votes
#1.7 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:21 PM EST

They just said it - Chuckle and Diana's wedding was different due to Chuckle's being 2nd in line to the throne. That WAS a state occasion.

Wills and Kate's wedding is NOT considered a state occasion. To invite heads of state isn't required.

Michelle Obama was not rude to the royals - if anything, the Queen liked her very much. Since the list is still being made up, I wouldn't be surprised if the Obama's get an invite.

• 23 votes
#1.9 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:33 PM EST

stockcar is right. The way their royalty was treated by the Obama's. Looks like it works both ways.

• 16 votes
#1.10 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:39 PM EST

This is not news! Simply MSNBC trying to prop up the failed Obama administration any way they can. There has been no snub. Who would want Obama and his Amazon wife to come to their wedding? The Secret Service intrusion would be reason enough. Surely Obama has more important things to do. Send BiteMe, he has nothing to do but whine and stick his number 10's in his mouth.

• 15 votes
#1.11 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 PM EST

Remember, folks, this comes from the Today Show - not exactly a renowned source of elite echelon "news reporting."

That said, IMO, some average free world persons may not put importance on etiquette and protocol anymore, but international heads of state (except for the current White House) most certainly do maintain and expect rules of proper behavior to be followed. When those rules aren't followed, it should come as no surprise that the offenders are no longer welcome on the "A" List.

• 12 votes
#1.13 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:15 PM EST

It's an inredible faux paux on the part of the planners. It's an insult to the President & Mrs. Obama, as well it shoujld be to all Americans. After reading several of the documents that were "leaked" I can't believe that their government would do this; however, I do think that the Royal Family is "slapping" the face of the Obamas. I doubt that Prince William will ever be as popular in the US as was his mother.

The Obamas are our "Royal Family" and should be treated as such by all foreign governments. We may not all like everything he does; however, he and Michelle represent the US and we all should watch how they are treated. Maybe Michelle shouldn't have patted the Queen on her first visit :)

• 6 votes
#1.14 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 PM EST

Michelle and The Big O treated the Queen like a street handler the last time they were in London. It was all caught on film. That is why Michelle and The Big O aren't invited. The Big O bowed to the Saudi Kings but mustered a little more than a smile to the Queen!

• 20 votes
#1.15 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:27 PM EST

I think the tabloid rag is trying to create controversy where there is none. I expect the Obamas will be invited. PERIOD.

• 5 votes
#1.16 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:34 PM EST

I don't see why this has to be considered a *SNUB*! The Obama's are not friends with William and Kate, they aren't relatives. There is no reason anyone in the U.S. needs to consider this a snub, it's a whole different Country for gosh sakes. Did Chelsea Clinton invite the Queen? No! Similar circumstance, I'd say. PFFT!

• 25 votes
#1.17 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:53 PM EST

Having one of the most well guarded men on the Planet at a wedding seems it would like a huge imposition. I know the Royals would have TONS of security, but toss the President of the United States into the mix and the wedding planner might just run screaming.

Yeah, I can see secret service agents trying to pat down the Bride before she walks down the aisle!

• 9 votes
#1.18 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:54 PM EST

Well people I'm sorry, I know many of you tried to cheer me up, but I'm a little miffed. My son's best friend's mother has a brother, who is freinds with a guy whos' father is married to a woman who has a cousin that knows a man who's son worked at Buckingham Palace.

And I still didn't get invited.

• 18 votes
#1.19 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:31 PM EST
Comment author avatarDonna-2810770Expand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

Who gives a @!$%# about whether they invite Barack? Do we sincerely believe that Barack and Michele really give a rat's arse about Prince William's wedding? Who the heck is Prince William, huh?? Obama is made up of different stuff, folks. Wake up and smell the coffee...that African American doesn't give a @!$%# about you white folks' pathetic party and pomp!!! His mission is to simply WORK for America.

• 4 votes
#1.20 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 PM EST

My Opinion, If you snub one American, you are snubbing us all. They do not even deserve to be in our News. It is just another Brit Marrage. OOOH She is a Princess, Who Cares! Wake Up!!! They are Snubbing our President. OUR COUNTRY!!!

• 5 votes
#1.21 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 PM EST

Who Cares! Wake Up!!! They are Snubbing our President. OUR COUNTRY!!!

ROTFLMAO! I think somebody forgot their meds today! Taking it a little too personal, eh?!

• 20 votes
#1.22 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 PM EST

If you invite the Obama's you have to keep them please.

• 20 votes
#1.23 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:17 PM EST

#1.24 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:57 AM EST

If this story is true they are not just snubbing the Obama's, but the cheif elected offical of our country, and maybe sending a message to all of us as a nation, I thought his late mother was from the U.S.? In my opinion that's little resect.

• 3 votes
#1.25 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:07 AM EST

I can only say I wish the soon to be married ALL THE BEST. See even with all the hardships we ALL are going thru her and across the world, we all have lost sight of the one thing that can only save this messed up world---- LOVE----. So good luck to those ALL who are getting married, consider yourself the luckiest people in the world!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 votes
#1.26 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:11 AM EST

Somehow I don't think this really matters to them. Who cares!

#1.27 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:34 PM EST

I wouldn't invite them either and as the Prince and his bride to be get closer to finalizing their list I hope they remain uninvited.

• 7 votes
    #1.28 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:58 PM EST

levendi49: Idiots like you represent everything that is wrong with "top" news stories. You only think it's news if it is something that has been played out, said again and again... you are pathetic. If it's not doom and gloom, it's not news. What a sad, miserable person you must be. Please explain to me how news regarding something we all already know is real news and this is not...

For the love of god... if I had 10 cents for every time some idiot said something exactly like this I'd be able to host my own royal wedding. Try something a little more original next time... you know, where you actually use your own brain. Independent thought. Formulating your own opinions. A new concept to you, yes, but at least make an effort.

#1.29 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 PM EST

It's NOT a royal wedding (read again) I didn't invite them to my wedding either, did you?

• 2 votes
      #1.30 - Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 AM EST

Couldn't agree with you more.

#1.31 - Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 PM EST

This is to Jemma - You need to understand something, the Obamas are not royalty the Windors are. It's their wedding and there is no need for the Obamas to think they belong there and especially for that Michelle to think she can even stand up to royalty. As you may recall (or may not considering), upon meeting the queen, Ms. I am so special I can touch the queen MIchelle, was pooh, poohed for doing so by putting her arm on the queen. I think before she ever gets invited again to anything dealing with royalty, she should take some serious lesson in etiquette, an area she is sorely lacking. Michelle (and you apparently) think the Obamas are welcomed everywhere they go. They are not.

• 5 votes
      #1.32 - Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 PM EST

I think they are the celebrity & future king. They should invite President & first lady Obama for wedding. For better relation with world & US they should invite from all over the world.

#1.33 - Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 PM EST

Have no respect for them the obumas. They should not be invited or considered.

#1.34 - Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 PM EST

JJD your #1.19 was hilarious and so well thought out. Kudos to you.

#1.35 - Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:49 AM EST

The Obamas would likely not have gone if invited but if true, no invitation is coming, it reflects Liz's anger at Obama and Co.'s many faux pas made earlier. I hear Liz is mad at Mrs. Obama and if young Bill's dear old ma dislikes someone, they don't get to go.

Rest assured if this becomes a cause celebre, the Obamas will indeed get an invitation that they'll graciously decline. No boors here on either side of the Atlantic.

#1.36 - Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:02 PM EDT

Donna-2810770

WOWWWWWWWWWW. you really thought about this comment didn't you? who is Prince William? DO YOU LIVE UNDER A ROCK?! obviously you knew who he was to spill the verbal diarrhea that you have!
        The one who needs to do some coffee smelling, or as we say in the real world needs a reality check, is YOU my dear.

That African American? I thought his title was Mr. President not "that African American". Hello Mr. African American... doesn't have much of a ring to it. It's the 21st century we discourage racism. It's small minded thoughtless bigots like yourself who cause racial motivation. Did you realize you were spewing out racial slurs? In a world where we encourage children to look past color, creed and religion you pop up with the most insane incomprehensible babble not even focusing on the topic in conversation and start running your mouth wild with stupidity such as Mr.Obama "doesn't give a @!$%# about you white folks' pathetic party and pomp!!!". Maybe if Mr.Obama took more pride in representing his country, and practiced etiquette (you know, like the rest of the world manages to) at the international tables, tried following protocol (go look it up) you wouldn't have your knickers in such a knot and the Obama's MAY have gotten an invite (not that one was warranted, as it is not a state affair).OH and Whilst we are on the subject of "us white people" your tiny mind must have eliminated the fact that Obama's Mother was white? on being asked about the diversity of his extended family Obama claimed "it's like a mini united nations". DO YOU know who the united Nations are? looking at the above I think no.
        It's Michelle, but you must have been so preoccupied thinking up all the anti-white nonsense you could that you even forgot to spell your first Lady's name correctly!

• 3 votes
        #1.37 - Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 AM EDT

oooh that is not good, I thought that was accepted etiquette for Royalty to invite heads of state

• 3 votes
        Reply#2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:53 AM EST

If this rag article is correct, I find it amusing that the Sarkozys will be invited but the Obamas get shunned. Maybe Nick Sarkozy presented the Queen with a more appropriate gift at his visit rather than CDs of his "greatest hits" speeches? Maybe Carla, as first lady of France, understands international protocol and that the Queen isn't her BFF and didn't hug her? President and Mrs. Obama still have a lot to learn about how to represent the USA in the international world.

sparrow - Please reread the article. This upcoming wedding isn't a state occasion like Charles' was. He was, and still is, heir to the throne. William is not. There's a big etiquette and protocol difference between the two.

• 19 votes
        #2.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:32 PM EST

I also think that Queen Elizabeth's mother, the "Queen Mother," and Princess Diana would be very proud of William and Kate's decision. This isn't a state affair, but there are some heads of state who clearly don't understand protocol or how to behave in the international forum.

• 17 votes
        #2.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:39 PM EST

Maybe they are not stupid after all. They know he isn't the head of anything. He would probably have to take many teleprompters to go and they don't want them there.

• 5 votes
        #2.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 PM EST

Varmit is a good name for you! Like it or not, Obama is the head of the good old USA

#2.4 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:45 AM EST
        Comment author avatarRedMan61Expand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

I hope they DO get snubed I will laugh my ass off. They are nothing but Lusa Ofi to me. Since there's so much censorship I put it Choctaw. michelle obama is lusa ohoyo ofi. I won't shed a tear if they died. Matter of fact I will throw a big ass party. Me and my Red Brothers do not respect the black man. They are nothing without their weapons and their numbers or their gangs. They whine and crybaby about how their ancestors were treated while ours were slaughtered, entire villiges and tribes were wiped out. And they want to moan and groan about having to pick cotton and being whipped. I think a few stripes is better than being DEAD. So don't bellyache to me about reparations until you go back to africa and Europe. I don't care!!!!!! I would just a soon scalp you as look at you!!!! Yes I AM A SAVAGE!!!!!!!

• 6 votes
        #2.5 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:43 PM EST

Ahhh!!! who gives a rats butt if they get invited or not. You don't go up to a Queen and hug her neck or put your arms around her that's just the way it is over there. That is an insult, So be it let the Obamas send them a nive wedding gift any way. They couldn't pay me to go, Its all for the rich any way.

• 4 votes
        #2.6 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:29 PM EST

NJ Person - I agree with you.

#2.7 - Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:26 PM EST

Good.

• 18 votes
        Reply#3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 AM EST

If all politicians of equal stature are treated the same way this is a non-story.  Maybe Prince William doesn't want to instantly expose his fiance to the vice-like world pressure his mother faced.

• 21 votes
        Reply#4 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:55 AM EST

good ... F U too . and when you need a hand in the UK you can go #$%%$ yourself !!!!!

• 7 votes
        Reply#5 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 AM EST

Nice.

Suspect you don't get invited to many functions, either, right?

• 21 votes
        #5.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 AM EST
        IGotIt1908Deleted

Issues?

• 3 votes
        #5.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:21 AM EST
        ltj.dangleDeleted

It appears that ltj.dangle is also loser number two with lots of issues.

• 15 votes
        #5.5 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:51 AM EST

LOL and loser's number 3 and 4 are the POTUS and FLOTUS.... LOL... This was not a snub but more of a functionality issue. There was nothing in the wedding budget to enlarge all of the openings to accomodate the Obama's ego's ....

JOLLY GOOD !!!!!

• 21 votes
        #5.6 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:26 PM EST

Right on Steve!!! Also I don't think TRUE Royalty should degrade themselves by associating with the low life ghetto group.

• 8 votes
        #5.7 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:55 PM EST

In all honesty, this is first class....I feel that the Britain's are attempting to concentrate on friends and NOT go with the Heads of State! Good for Prince William and Kate!!

• 45 votes
        Reply#6 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:58 AM EST

FRIENDS! Sarkozy (pron: CZAR cozy) is the biggest embarrassment to the French ever. He is narcissistic, rude, and bullish. And he is the French President! If you don't want to invite heads of state, don't invite this idiot. Obama has more class in his pinkie than Sarkozy in his entire house!

#6.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:23 PM EST

How is that a snub? Why would Barak and Michelle even want to attend such a thing. Neither William nor Kate have any titles as of yet, and are simply victims of a manufactured interest in their lives. Most peple I know are too busy trying to pay their mortgages than worriying about a wedding happening to somoene who has been privelleged his whole life. Nice try for trying to make news out of nothing.

• 13 votes
          #7 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:58 AM EST

Let's not forget that Prince William also served to assist the US in an active combat zone. That puts him a notch above most who'll have something snide to say about him. He didn't have to do it, he was given an option and he wanted combat. Tell me about his life of privledge again?

• 23 votes
          #7.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 AM EST

East Coast,

That was Price Harry, not William.

• 8 votes
          #7.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 AM EST

The running joke when Harry was born: William the Heir and Harry the Spare

#7.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 AM EST

Timekppr, you need to get your facts correct before making a statement here. Prince William most certainly does have a title, "HRH Prince William". Kate doesn't have one yet but in a few months she will have the title of "HRH Princess" and in the future the couple will be, "King William and Queen Kate (or Katherine). HRH Prince William is second in line to the throne and while he will be king one day in his own right, Kate will be his Queen because she is married to him.

• 8 votes
          #7.4 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 AM EST

Why is Queen Elizabeth's husband only a prince then?

#7.5 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 AM EST

pabs: because that's how it's done. when the actual sitting monarch is female, she is queen (a queen regnant), and her spouse is a prince (the prince consort). when the monarch is male, he is king and his spouse is queen (but not a queen regnant). if she survives him, she is titled the dowager queen, the actual title of elizabeth's mother, the 'queen mum'. this was , however, not the case with william III and mary, who sat the throne jointly.

• 8 votes
          #7.6 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:05 PM EST

Anglophile, you should probably get your facts straight. "HRH" is a form of address or 'courtesy title'. a title is something like, oh, 'Prince of Wales'. 'Duke of Buckingham'. 'Earl Grey' (it's not just a tea!). a title literally means owner of a noble estate, and used to also mean automatic membership in the House of Lords. William and Harry do have several minor titles- barontecy's and viscountships. but not the type of high-ranking titles that would warrant the invitations of heads of state to their nuptials . and William is unlikely to be granted any major dukedoms upon his marriage, as once Charles ascends the throne William will become Prince of Wales. then William will have a title, and Kate will be Princess of Wales

• 5 votes
          #7.7 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:17 PM EST

Aren't the boys already princes? Prince William and Prince Harry? I agree, they do have other titles.

• 2 votes
          #7.8 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:50 PM EST

If you seriously think that the Queen will let Charles take the throne, you're deluded. She hates Camilla and would rather die than see that woman be queen of anything. She'll more likely pass over Charles and name William as her heir. He seems to have a greater interest in running the country than Charles ever has.

• 2 votes
          #7.9 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:56 PM EST

The Queen doesn't really have a choice. Laws of primogeniture require that the Prince of Wales become King... unless he becomes a Catholic.

• 2 votes
          #7.10 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:49 PM EST

To Jen R --- Upon what facts do you presume that QEII will disallow Charles to be her heir? Do you have inside knowledge? In case you don't know, the British royal family hasn't governed Great Britain for centuries. The modern royal lineage continues as set ... unless the primary heir, Prince of Wales, converts to another religion or flagrantly breaks royal protocol (see QEII's uncle Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor). The reason QEII, who was 3rd in line, became queen was because her father died and her uncle Edward abdicated the throne to marry Wallis Simpson.

Regarding your comment that the Queen "hates" Camilla ... this is more tabloid fodder that's not been substantiated. According to tabloids, the Queen has also "hated" anyone her sister, sons, daughter, and grandchildren dated and/or subsequently may have married or will marry. Feel free to believe "reality TV" and tabloids if they are your primary news sources. Throwing that "hate" card is also very common practice in the USA. Many people are verbally accosted and called "haters" simply because they disagree with President Obama's policies.

Prince William is not yet heir to the throne; therefore, his wedding is not a state occasion where diplomatic protocol must be followed as was dictated by recognized etiquette protocol when Prince Charles, who is the heir-apparent, married Diana.

If you research the marriages of our own presidents' children, you'll find that international protocol was followed only if the president was a sitting president. In the case of former president Clinton, please note that the Obamas were NOT invited to Chelsea's wedding this year. I'm sure that there were some who considered that a "racist shun." What they don't understand are the intricacies of diplomatic protocol.

----------------

To those who consider the Obamas our USA royalty: I suggest that you read US history. One of the reasons our forefathers fought Great Britain in the Revolutionary War was to STOP royal powers, oppression, and taxation without representation. You might want to think about those concepts before you vote for Obama again in 2012.

• 9 votes
          #7.11 - Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:13 AM EST

Good History for those "not in the know". I would have voted you up, except you just had to throw that last sentence in. Good information, bad to ruin it with an opinion

#7.12 - Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:27 PM EST

Don't worry NJ I voted for ya. I loved your personal opinion. Obama OUT in 2012. Anybody but him. I would even vote for a democrat if we had the same kind of thinking. But I know that ain't going to happen, unless Congresswoman Giffords would be able to run. She is the only democrat out there that thinks like I do except for the Obamacare thing.

#7.13 - Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:02 PM EST

There should not be a comparison drawn between the Reagans being invited to Prince Charles's wedding, and the Obamas most likely not being invited to Prince William's. As the story states, Prince William is not yet the heir to the throne, so this isn't a State occasion. It isn't a snub; the invitation list has more to do with protocol. Instead of spending their time and energy worrying about whether the seating arrangement is correct, the marrying couple gets to enjoy themselves. Good for them. I'm sure the Obamas won't perceive their as-yet-to-be-non-invitation as a snub.

• 25 votes
              Reply#8 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:59 AM EST

Except that the story claims that the French President and his wife will likely be invited. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Personally, I hope this IS a snub. They deserve it.

• 25 votes
              Reply#9 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:59 AM EST

The french are invited cuz kate and carli are acquantances.

• 18 votes
              #9.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 AM EST

we never grow out of the high school stage.

• 9 votes
              #9.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:00 AM EST

You would be glad that your American President and First lady got snubed? You are not a True American.

• 8 votes
              #9.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:15 PM EST

Not a true american. Look around and see what is happening! There are many more real americans than Obama is. Like the ones who have supported this country, worked their whole lives, people who risk their life everyday, such as police, firemen, and of course, our service people. They all deserve more than what they are getting. Obama and his wife are pompous -----

• 18 votes
              #9.4 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 PM EST

Yes, I'm glad too they got snubbed. So you say that the qualification of a True American is to be offended by this? You have no idea what a j****** you look like. Spend a day at Arlington National Cemetery, and see if you learn anything. I doubt you could find it on a map. This country is in such sad shape.

• 16 votes
              #9.5 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 PM EST

"This country is in such sad shape"

On what planet have you been living for the previous eight years before he came into office?

• 12 votes
              #9.6 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 PM EST

#9.7 - Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 PM EST

They absolutely deserve this. Maybe it will give Obama time to consider more pressing matters rather than inflating THE WEDDING OF THE YEAR as his own publicity party. it's not about the president or America.
                Maybe next time Obama will try the whole think before you act thing....

#9.8 - Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:18 AM EDT

Yes, make a big deal out of this.  Snubbing the Obamas??  Really?  Maybe they want the day to themselves and not have to worry about Secret Service, etc. invading their Wedding Day.  I am sure the Obamas would be invited and would gracefully decline.  It's happened before.  They know better than to ruin someone else's Big Day.  They weren't invited to Chelsea Clinton's Wedding either.  Get over it, haters.  This has nothing to do with whether or not the Queen (who happens to like the Obamas) or Kate Middleton and Prince William (Diana's son of all people) don't want the Obamas at the Wedding.  Please, get real!!

• 30 votes
                Reply#10 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 AM EST

It's nice to read a thoughtful comment laced with commonsense... I am fascinated by how many comments here are purely immature and thoughtless... Thank you for saying something that makes sense.

• 17 votes
                #10.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 PM EST

Snoop dog??? Good God. If that is going to be the US contribution to this wedding, then I am humiliated.

• 4 votes
                #10.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:25 PM EST

I do not know all the intracacies of protocal for sure, but, I do know better than to believe what is reported by a tabloid. That wedding list is going to change at least 3 more times along with the seating arrangements before the wedding...and I could imagine that having the secret service at your wedding might be inconvenient and the Obamas are not trash. I did not vote or him [because I didn't know much of him] but I have come to understand that maybe some view the Obamas as "ghetto or trashy" is because they are only in the 30's. Give them a break could imagine being "on" all the time! I bet someone stands outside the door when they pee. Regarding racism ... I am so sick of that I just automatically scroll past whatever anyone else they have to say. I almost feel sorry for the kids that they can't have a barefoot wedding in the country side where they live with just their family and close friends. Give the kids a break good grief!

#10.3 - Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:27 AM EST

I'm not the biggest fan of Obama, but soon to be "King Willie" should show some respect and invite the President of the United States. I mean, he's got Snoop Dog hosting his bachelor party for God's sake.

• 5 votes
                  Reply#11 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 AM EST

Chris...would that be kinda like having respect for the English by NOT returning the bust of Churchill that was displayed in the White House. This set of folks occupying the White House have NO class....totally uncouth.

• 20 votes
                  #11.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 AM EST

And George Bush had class? Get real. Howdy Doody had more class and they looked like twins.

• 22 votes
                  #11.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 AM EST

Maybe they should just get together and have a beer!

• 3 votes
                  #11.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:25 PM EST

Hector........where in the he(( did George Bush come from...he was never mentioned. But now that you mention him, yes, he and Howdy Doody both have more class than this incompetent occupant of the WH.

• 6 votes
                  #11.4 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:55 PM EST

This is news?

• 7 votes
                  Reply#12 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 AM EST
                  hmhh80Deleted

So what? This is William & Kate's special day so they should be sharing the day with people that are special to THEM and it should not be used as a political tool. They can always send out 'formal' announcements after the fact if they want to share the good news in a more formal way.

• 24 votes
                  Reply#14 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:03 AM EST

awillis, I agree with you hole-heartedly!!

• 8 votes
                  #14.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:01 PM EST

@katec

If they're inviting the French President and his wife, then your premise is incorrect. These kids are young and this paper hasn't had the greatest track record for stories. True, it's their wedding, and they should be allowed to invite who they wish. However, proper etiquette dictates certain allowances, and this would be a deviation from said custom. The Brits are heavy on customs and this would be against their culture.

• 2 votes
                  Reply#15 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:03 AM EST

...he's marrying a "commoner"! How's that for a huge slap to the Brits customs and culture???

• 3 votes
                  #15.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:58 AM EST

The late Queen Mother was also a commoner.

• 2 votes
                  #15.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 AM EST

No. Being a Commoner implies that a person has no direct connection with a titled family.

The Queen Mother was born Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the youngest daughter of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore and spent her childhood in a large Scottish castle, Glamis Castle. (She and her husband King George VI actually met as small children.)

And before you mention her:

The Late Princess of Wales was born Lady Diana Spencer, the youngest daughter of the Earl and Countess Spencer, and was born and grew up on the same Sandringham estate that the royal family visit each Christmas.

Neither woman was born royal (no Princess title) but rather of noble, and wealthy, lineage. Kate, on other hand, has no title, no great lineage (that I know of), and most likely grew up making her own bed in the morning.

#15.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 PM EST

a commoner who has more class, decorum and thought than the average jane. The late Queen Mother was a commoner too, she didn't do such a bad job. come back on April 30th and tell me of how much a commoner she is then! I'd like to be a penny behind her!

#15.4 - Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 PM EDT

good for them!

• 3 votes
                    Reply#16 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:04 AM EST

Uhhh, it's possible that Pres. Obama has a few more pressing things to worry about than what to buy the couple for a wedding gift. It's THEIR wedding, after all. I'm sure the Obama's will understand and get on with their lives somehow.

• 8 votes
                    Reply#17 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:05 AM EST

After what they gave the Queen for a gift I would be worried about what they would give them. As always just my opinion.

• 13 votes
                    #17.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:47 PM EST

@stockcar19 LMAO I couldnt have said it better myself!

#17.2 - Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 PM EDT

What a huge non-news waste of space.....any other rumors and crap you want to throw out there?

• 5 votes
                      Reply#18 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 AM EST

• 7 votes
                      Reply#19 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 AM EST

I'm sure there is another vacation spot/junket in the world that's higher on their to do list than a wedding in Britian.... while tax payer money is still available.

• 16 votes
                      #19.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:33 AM EST

I'm glad, I don't want to spend the millions of tax dollars to have his entourage flying over there. We know how his wife likes to spend on travel.

• 19 votes
                      #19.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 AM EST

They could fly to Crawford on your dime every time there was pressing business, oh i forgot that was George W. Sorry.

• 16 votes
                      #19.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 AM EST

Who would want a guest showing up in a ugly outfit as Michelle usually wears? EX: the horror at the visit of a statesman from Spain recently - many ppl called her dress a pinata; real tasteless. and outgageous for a State visit. Also look at that - what would you call it ? - a nude underdress covered with brown sequines for the Kennedy Center honorees? I do not know what to describe that ugly creation. There have been many, many photos of Michelle on the internet and news in outrageous outfits. Please someone; help this woman to select clothes for public appearances, suitable to the first lady's position.

• 3 votes
                      #19.4 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:32 AM EST

You're a a@@hole

#19.5 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:49 AM EST

it's An...

• 8 votes
                      #19.6 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:20 PM EST

yes Randy, the person who calls someone a name as harvey-1497454 does above and does not seem to know correct grammar should rethink his comments. Harvey, this is a public forum where ppl are asked for comments and offer their opinions on a subject. No harm, no foul, grow up.

#19.7 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:34 PM EST

Mary-2809684: A bit jealous, are we? Michelle could wear over-alls and still look good...

#19.8 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:37 PM EST

Then put her in a pair, stick her face in the "American Gothic" painting and see who looks best. Would it be the overalls gal or the pitchfork ??

• 3 votes
                        #19.9 - Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:38 AM EST

"The Obamas have better things to do with their time (And our money) than attend such a fairy tale spectacle..." ---- You mean like vacationing at villas and 5-star resorts in Hawaii, Spain, Martha's Vineyard, and India?

• 7 votes
                        #19.10 - Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 PM EST

I vote pitchfork

#19.11 - Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 PM EDT

Oh who cares anyway

Reply#20 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 AM EST

Great, saves the taxpayers millions of dollars. I'm sick of seeing Michelle Obama in her grand gowns. Makes me want to puke.

• 13 votes
                          Reply#21 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 AM EST

You sound like Cinderella. Maybe you too will have your glass slippers.

• 6 votes
                          #21.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 AM EST

And liars like you with your hateful comments make me want to puke!

• 4 votes
                          #21.2 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:56 PM EST

Not Cinderella -- Cinderella's stepsisters.

• 4 votes
                          #21.3 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 PM EST

i am not black or trying to take side on any one here, but fact what ever anyone is saying doesnt make sense at all you guys all need to grow and stop been resist which is againest God.. and we all know what happen to black people before and know they are our leadrs which is very shame to what white ppl did to them for ever, so can you guys learn and stop this stupid words that makes white look jealous, and are desperate from moving on, on their life.. black and white are all humans and have same brain, our world is all about brain not color.. color doesnt work.. your brain works, obama is a man and show his the world his strong brain not color, and no one can change this by lab, lab, lab...who ever is stupid and selfsh need to stop this desperat words, and start with a good faith to help the world rather than been selfsh..

#21.4 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:18 PM EST

I am getting the idea that English isn't your first language. That was very hard to read, much less understand. No offense, but if you are trying to make a point about something, no one got it.

#21.5 - Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 AM EST

Good for them - its their wedding and it seems so far they are not trying to make it a huge expense. It should be their family and friends. Thus far it seems the only people super focused on the wedding is the media trying to make people care.

• 7 votes
                              Reply#22 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 AM EST

Chris...would that be kinda like having respect for the English by NOT returning the bust of Churchill that was displayed in the White House.  This set of folks occupying the White House have NO class....totally uncouth.

• 13 votes
                              Reply#23 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:16 AM EST

Do you blame them? Obama is the one who sent back the bust of Winston Churchill who was a hero to the British people during WWII. That was a gift to the people of the U.S. Obviously, he has no great love or admiration for the Brits who have been our allies for so long. What a slap in the face that was. I wouldn't invite them either.

• 25 votes
                              Reply#24 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:16 AM EST

how can i vote?

#24.1 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:36 PM EST

quoting The Daily Mail for scoop journalism is not impressive...come on! The Daily Mail?

manufactured drama.

• 3 votes
                                Reply#25 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:17 AM EST

You're correct about manufactured drama. The word "snubbed" is inflammatory. The world won't come to an end if the Obamas are not invited to this wedding. Furthermore, who cares?

• 4 votes
                                #25.1 - Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:34 AM EST

The Obama's don't need another free meal, they already get that from the American taxpayers!

• 11 votes
                                Reply#26 - Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 AM EST
                                Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 ... 20
                                You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                                As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.